Sunday, August 15, 2004

Let's Get Started

Ok.

After four months settling in, I finally start writing my blogs.

The reason for this blog is because I have a good vibe about this new company that I recently joined: ThoughtWorks.

There are three main reasons that made me want to leave my rewarding JBuilder career and start a career that requires traveling, talking, dealing with new environment all the time.
  1. Extreme Programming and Agile Development: I believe this is the future of the software development. Or at least this will be a very good alternative of RUP. However, I also see frustration during adaptation of XP methodology, to a point that I almost think this is a ideal goal that can never be achieved. However, ThoughtWorkers seem to have done it very well and are up to the challenge of making it into a medium to large size team. If this methodology can be applied to a bigger size project, I defenitely want to be part of it.
  2. Career growth: Again and again, Borland management has disappointed me making me realize that there is nothing left for me in Borland. I could talk about the reason for a whole day but I am really tired of it and I'll save my breath here. ThoughtWorks honor developers very much and even though time still has to tell how much I can grow my career here, I feel much more confident in working here. I could learn the art of project management of agile development, and understand what it takes to deliver a good project. There are OpenSource projects launched by ThoughtWorks that I can get involved into. China is also a very good market for software development.
  3. Martin Fowler. I have read most of his books and have been up to date on his websites. I believe if he chose ThoughtWorks out of all the possible companies, it must has done something right for him.

No comments: