Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cotta 1.2 Release

I have got quite a few good feedback from Brian who is using it ('in anger'!) at Guidewire. So I am putting together a 1.2 release, even though the change list is really small.

This also include some JavaDoc updates. Even though I am not a believer myself on JavaDoc, I have come to realize that it is still a recognized way of communication and sometimes preferred over email or forum.

(I have been writing drafts about the work that I have been doing at Guidewire, just never been able to publish any of them... Not good if I want to keep this blog alive)

Friday, September 07, 2007

WebGen, Cool!

I finally run into WebGen today when checking out rSpec. So far by the look of it, it is exactly what I have been looking for for the last two years! Of course, that means that one third of my work with BuildMaster will be out of commission, but this is such a good thing!

I supposed this was bound to happen sooner or later.

I thought it was a bit odd that I didn't find anything interesting when I had the idea of generating a static HTML website based on specified template and using wiki style format like Textile. I had several simple websites to generate at that moment (my homepage, jBehave at the time, Cotta, and BuildMaster), so I settled for creating one of my own with some simple Ruby script as the base. It worked out well because I have been able to update the content very easily. Earlier this year, I also set up the selenium Ruby project very easily.

It didn't come without a price, when I released BuildMaster 0.7.0 . I just settled for the fact that there is simply not one that is easily found. I also try my best to enhance it to be more powerful and flexible but I just never got enough time.

Now with WebGen, I can finally take something off my plate and still get what I want. Since I wrote those websites with Textile syntax already, I don't see a big content format conversion either.

My first reaction was that "Man I wasted a lot of time because the lack of information". Then I realized that I learned pretty much everything I know about Ruby and rSpec while working on this module, and that the Cotta layer that I extracted out of it is still very valuable. So even though I do need to do a better research next time, this time it worked out for the best.