Sunday, May 01, 2005

Fellow ThoughtWorkers

One thing that I found different working at ThoughtWorks, are the fellow ThoughtWorkrs. Here are three examples:

Names
I am the kind of person that cannot remember people's name unless I get to know them personally. So even though I greatly enjoyed the book Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, I only know the name of the main author Martin Fowler. Well, after working at Yabe project, I picked it up one day again to look up a pattern. Guess how surprised for me to find out that of the people that I worked with, three are on the cover (David Rice, Edward Hieatt, Robert Mee). Even though only Dave works for ThoughtWorks, I think this still shows that this company is well connected.

Arguments
ThoughtWorkers are all opinionated and love a good argument. Someone told me this the first week that I joined, and I have seen it again and again. I think this is good because it will bring out the best from all sides so that we can always think of the way we look at things or do things. Of course, I can understand that it is not for everybody, even though I enjoyed every argument.

Humorous
Here is a good example. During a discussion about the practical use of loosely coupled architecture like web services, EJB, or CORBA, Dan North made the following comment that cracked me up:
You mean you don't use CORBA?? Are you mad??

How on earth do you instantiate an object without first looking up a Factory Factory using IIOP to register as a Listener for a Factory to call a Factory Method via reflection, if you don't have CORBA?

Bloody amateurs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it ethical for Martin Fowler to put his name on the patterns book in bold and not give equal credit to others?

Shane said...

First of all, I don't understand why you are writing such a comment on a post that is saying "hey I just realized that I know most of the names on the cover", not to mention that it is by 'anonymous' and that this is way off the topic.

If you have really finished the book, I doubt very much that you will still make the same comment. He did give credit to the other authors and in the book it is clear who wrote which chapter.

Second, he WAS the one spent time writing and finishing the book. One reason that I enjoyed the refactoring book as much as this one, was because they are all well known practice scattered around in this field and Martin's books bring them together and put theorise behind them so that we can all understand why this is good and that is bad. Anyone did that deserves to have his/her name on the cover in bold letter.

Last but not the least, I personally don't like a anonymous comment that tries to attack someone. If you want to support your statement, stand out and say it. That is the reason that I enjoyed a good argument among ThoughtWorkers.